Who doesn’t love a one pot dish? Especially when it’s a quick, one pot dish that packs enough to make you believe you spent hours cooking it. You can pull this one together under an hour thanks to pantry staples, fresh farm grown cauliflower, delicious chicken thighs and one of my new favorite ingredients to have around, harissa. I adapted this recipe from Andrea at Dishing Up The Dirt. If you haven’t checked her out yet, you should. She is a farmer, blogger and cookbook author. She posts amazing stories about her work as her farmer, the CSA at her farm, delicious recipes and my favorite, gives tips on how best to cook and store particular vegetables so they last.
Harissa Roasted Chicken with Cauliflower & Chickpeas:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 4 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs (seasons with salt overnight)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup of harrisa
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock
- chopped parsley
- Take the salted chicken out of the fridge and reach room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Heat the olive oil in a large oven proof skillet or dutch oven. I used one of my favorite vessels in the kitchen, my Le Creuset Everyday Pan.
- Pat the chicken dry, season with pepper and cook in the pan for about 5 minutes per side. Start with the skin side down and be sure that you get the chicken skin golden brown and crispy. Remove the chicken to a plate on the side.
- Pour off some of the drippings and add the onion and garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes stirring frequently. Add the sugar and tomato paste and cook until the onions and garlic are evenly coated. Add the cauliflower, chickpeas, harissa and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Place chicken snuggly in the pan with the vegetables, skin side up. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is 165 degrees.
- Remove from oven and place a heaping amount of vegetables on the plates and top each plate with a chicken thigh.